August 7, 2015

Beer Challenge: 004: Corona Extra 355mL Bottle

Although we haven't gone through the big four of Japanese Breweries (yes, I left Sapporo out...), we are going to try one of the most popular beers exported from Mexico, the Corona Extra


















Corona (or La Corona), is obviously Spanish, means The Crown, which you can clearly see in its logo on the label.










Corona Extra was started brewing in Mexico by the company Grupo Modelo in 1925, which around 90 years of history. Grupo Modelo sold part of its business to AB InBev in 2013 that made AB InBev owns Corona Extra now (Financial stories, I skip it for now).

Grupo Modelo also has other production lines including the following:


















Back to Corona Extra, this pale lager has a light amber color with a blue label that I like its design in the first sight. The beer has an alcohol content of 4.5% Alc./Vol. which obviously not strong.

Looking at the label for the Ingredients content, it's included Water (obviously), Barley Malt (well, you may find wheat in other beer), Corn and Rice (Huh?) Hops (for sure).

























Hmmm...why are corn and rice added into the beer?

So I did a little bit of digging.

Mike Reis stated that Corn and Rice are used to the lighten the colour and the body of the beer without adding too much flavour. Some (in the comment section) also stated that Corn and Rice are used to lower the production cost as these two ingredients provide sugar for the fermentation.

I see. I thought corn and rice are used for adding more flavour to the beer, but obviously I am not right. Hell, Let's just drink beer.


For my unprofessional tasting test, it is:

- Malty, pretty strong too

- Low carbonation, as very little foam formed (I used a glass to test)

- The bitterness is so outstanding when passes through the taste buds, and it stays there for some time.

- Stimulate my saliva gland, in order to cover the bitterness

- Actually, in some degree, it tastes like San Miguel to me.

In R scale, it worth 6.5/10, however, if I need lime in the beginning of the drink, it is more likely to be 7.5. Lime adds acid to the beer, just like adding freshness into it.

I guess I should try Corona Light too in order to distinguish the differences between two, but generally speaking, I am not choosing Corona is Kirin is an option :P

Coz I'm NOT Dom.




There is an interesting phenomenon when I was digging about the ingredient of Corona. People who have Celiac disease are able to drink Corona Extra. Though Corona Extra is made of barley malt, those who are sensitive to gluten are not affected by Corona Extra. They guessed that the amount of gluten in the beer is so little that does not cause any unhappy moment when they are drinking it.

It's good news! For all the gluten related allergies persons, can enjoy the joy of beer!!

Have a great day and drink safe! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment